The Army of Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Forums of the Army of Light.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
This Forum is Now De-Commissioned. Please Register at the New, Enhanced Forums at: www.thearmyoflightswtor.forumotion.com . Thank you.

Application - Ranak Fonn (Accepted)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ranak

Application - Ranak Fonn (Accepted) Empty
PostSubject: Application - Ranak Fonn (Accepted)   Application - Ranak Fonn (Accepted) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm

1. Character Name (this will be your name on the site and forums): Ranak Fonn

2. Class (Jedi Consular, Jedi Knight, Smuggler, or Trooper): Jedi Consular

3. Please describe your knowledge of Star Wars? The more detailed the better, please:

Looking back through my life I fondly recall the very first moment I felt the force. The year was 1977 and I was at the drive-in movies watching Star Wars. The opening scene showing the massive Imperial Star Destroyer overtaking Princess Leia's Corellian Corvette ignited my already active imagination. I was only 6 but so many other memories have spawned from that one fateful image that it became the foundation for all of my future creative endeavors.

Fortunately, I'm an only child and I was quite spoiled growing up. I owned nearly all of the Star Wars toys from episodes 4 & 5. My favorite Star Wars movie to this day is Empire Strikes Back. The tension between Han and Leia was so brilliantly portrayed. Yoda's brillliant wisdom that he imparted upon Luke has become part of our cultural mythos. "All your life as you looked away to the future, the horizon. Never your mind on where you are, what you are doing!" Luke was a dreamer just like I was.

I grew up in the great Mojave Desert of southern California. So much of my life has paralled that of Luke's coming of age epic. Both of us were stranded on a barren, inhospitable planet and raised by people who couldn't or wouldn't understand us. "If there's a bright center of the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from." So very true...

We both struggled to understand the villain that turned out to be our father. The day mine removed his helmet and recounted his sad tale about how he turned to the dark side was the most memorable day of our relationship. He died 3 months later from a brain tumor but he too had restored his honor before his death.

Beyond my own life and its parallels with the movies I've played both Knights of the Old Republic incarnations as well as numerous other Star Wars games. SWG never appealed to me so I didn't play it. I haven't read any of the books but I have been studying "The Essential Guide to the Force" in preparation for my role in the game.

4. Please tell us about your other guild/MMO experiences. If there is more than one guild/experience, please include all of them. If you left your last guild, please tell us why you decided to leave. If you have used more than one name, please list them all.*
Guild Name (Reason for leaving if applies): Fifth Fleet, left by default due to inactivity because the game was very disappointing.
-Game: Star Trek
-Name: Canthaya
-Level: Rear Admiral (LH)
-Server: There's only one
-Class: Engineer
-Race: Liberated Borg Human

Guild Name (Reason for leaving if applies): Section Nine, left after an RL friend joined. He had a role in my last divorce and it was best that we not play together. I didn't want to cause drama in the guild so I chose to bow out instead. I was an officer before I left.
-Game: World of Warcraft
-Name: Canthaya & Marathustra
-Level: both 80
-Server: Azjol-Nerub
-Class: Paladin & Mage, respectively
-Race: Both Human

5. What type of role do you wish to take within the guild? How do you plan to be active? Please be specific.

I tend to work best in supporting roles. I am a competent leader and have received both military and civilian leadership training but I'm very modest and dislike the spotlight. As a military man, I do admire and respect a well defined chain of command and will follow orders quite precisely. I am a very capable writer and I did a bit of it for the Fifth Fleet. Therefore, I am able to create various fictional or factual works if required. I am rather aged (39 years old) and have become a rather patient instructor of my younger co-workers and many others I've interacted with so I may be able to work in the academy. In game, I have experience tanking, healing, and dpsing. I prefer filling whatever roles the guild requires rather than my own; it's much more satisfying for me to know that the guild needs the role I provide rather than simply satiating a selfish desire.

6. Why do you feel the Army of Light is a good fit for you?

I don't feel right in speaking to this with any certainty. I would not condescend to think that I truly know the Army of Light but I have developed respect for Grand Master Jephos Mispir, and respect is something that must exist if I am to belong to any organization. Master Mispir encouraged me to take a closer look at the Army of Light and I trust that his judgement is sound or he would not have attained such an admirable status.

What I believe I have in common with the Army of Light:

1. I would like an engaging and stimulating gaming experience from The Old Republic.
2. I value integrity, respect, and honesty. I work hard to represent these traits and consequently expect them from others.
3. I enjoy Star Wars and the impact that it has had on my life. I'm not embarrased to indulge myself in an immersive gaming experience.
4. I would like to find a dedicated gaming community that enforces high standards of conduct from its members.
5. I would like to game with others who are capable of providing a roleplaying experience.
6. I will not "pwn" or "gank" or any other nonsense. I would much rather die honorably than resort to such vile tactics and language.

I have been methodically sorting through all of the many guilds that have spawned since TOR was announced and I believe the Army of Light is the best of them all. I do not intend to flatter by saying this but only to speak the truth. Your website alone speaks volumes, and I believe such an effort indicates an organization as serious and mature as myself. Don't worry though, I do have a lighter side but I know when it is appropriate for shenanigans.

7. What do you expect of the guild? Please be specific.

I expect as much from my superiors or organization as I expect from myself. Everything I mentioned above in item 6 would be applicable here. I also expect any offenses, violations, or complaints to be handled decisively; these things tend to become malignant and toxic, otherwise, and can easily destroy any organization. I realize that any organization is only as good as its members but I would like the guild to make it very clear what member's roles are and who they answer to. Also, clear lines of communication are absolutely essential. I realize, sadly, that we all have real lives and I am tolerant of that...to a point.

8. Age: 39 (b'day 02/18/71)

9. Time Zone: Mountain Standard Time (Utah)

10. Role-Play experience/expectations. Can you give us some examples of Role-Playing you have participated in before. When it comes to expectations, give us an example of what would be fun to participate in, what you are looking for, etc.

I grew up with Dungeons & Dragons. One of the earliest birthday presents I remember was the Basic Edition rules set of D&D. I DM'd Keep on the Borderlands for my dad and step-brothers when I was very young. I would actually roleplay in World of Warcraft. I had many people convinced I was female for about two years until I dropped the ruse after someone in-game became a bit too amorous lol. I intend to play a male character in TOR to avoid such complications though. I expect to be 100% RP in-game but this is only a personal expectation. I won't be offended by out-of-character correspondence from anyone. I will do my best to maintain the immersion for those interested though. I would like the guild to do the same but I realize how unrealistic this may be. Not everyone has the endurance for intensive role playing.

11. How can you benefit and help the guild? Please include any skills or talents you have that you would enjoy doing within the guild. How have you helped your previous guild(s), if you have previous experience?

I mentioned some of this previously and will attempt to encapsulate it again here. I seem to have a sagacious linguistic aptitude. I have written for a previous guild; it was just something simple for their medical branch. What they had previously was a bit lackluster so I applied a bit of polish, in a manner of speaking.

12. How do you define a quality member?

A quality member is someone who stricly abides by the guild rules of conduct and etiquette. Someone who conscientiously pursues the most enjoyable gaming experience for his or herself and the other members of the guild. A trustworthy individual who willingly and thoughtfully offers his or her own time and resources to fellow guild members.

13. How did you find the Army of Light? Did someone recruit you? If so, please let us know who.

The wise and refreshingly verbose Grand Master Jephos Mispir. His humility does not belie his intellect. Such an individual must be worthy of a great guild; one of which I would be proud of joining.

14a. Have you visited our website and chat room, and familiarized yourself with the, Charter, Mission Statement, and Rules of Conduct? (You must answer in the affirmative and please prove that you have)

I have, to the best of my knowledge, and as proof I will offer my agreement and support to the guidelines and ideals that are represented. I approve of the two week activity grace period and believe that it encourages members to remain involved in the guild and not silently fade away. I support the ideal of having members be of the highest personal character and that they be dedicated to continous learning, integrity, maturity, humility, and loyalty. I cannot think of a good reason for anyone belonging to more than one TOR guild and agree that such an act is intolerable.

The chat policy seems very concise. Respect, maturity, personal ethics, and honor are all things that I value and I am pleased to see them as expectations. I also like the fact that all chat should be roleplay driven, fun, and friendly. The encouragement of proper etiquette through the use of titles and names will go along way toward creating a proper roleplaying environment, as well. Thinking before one speaks is something that my mother characterizes as, "Tasting and savoring one's words before spitting them out." Not enough people are considerate of what they say to others and anonymous online forums rarely encourage conscientiousness. I studied as a Wiccan long enough to appreciate the ideal of causing no harm and will certainly agree to this as well as the many other items that comprise the policy.

I hope I have satisfied the requirement of this item. To my regret, after a thorough search of the website and forums, I was unable to find anything titled "Charter", "Mission Statement", or "Rules of Conduct". I have perused the Activity, Membership, and Chat Policies as well as the policies forum thread. The policies forum thread seemed to restate the Chat Policy and also make clear that the guild rules do not change simply because a member does not agree with them. I trust that I have a complete understanding of the guild's expectations of its members and I will do my best to uphold and represent these expectations.

14b. Do you pledge to fulfill them, most notably to uphold the virtues of Maturity, Honor, Respect, Personal Ethics and No Drama?

I swear by the Living Force to uphold these virtues as well as any others required of me by the Army of Light and the officers appointed over me.

15. Would you say that you embody the qualities of Respect, Honor, Loyalty, and Maturity? What are your definitions of these four words? Please don’t just answer yes or no, let us know why you think you possess these qualities.

Respect represents quite a few things. One may respect someone by paying that person proper tribute in the way he or she addresses them. Always responding to a superior by using his or her title first will show them proper respect as well as using an appropriately subordinate tone. One may not always agree with one's master but should always aquiesce simply as a matter of respect to both the master's position and knowledge. At the same time, the master must act in accordance to the level of respect received. One worthy of respect acts respectably. This is done by treating others fairly and remaining humble despite one's status.

Honor requires one to act fairly and uphold the tenets and beliefs of one's character, even to those who act dishonorably. One crafts personal honor from the most fragile of substances and it must be carefully tended or it will quickly perish. The honorable person must always take the high road, not be easily provoked, and ignore the rudest of insults. Honor does not need to be spoken for because it lives as a tale of one's deeds. Another's honor should never be judged either and one only dishonors oneself by questioning another. The honorable person does others honor by showing great respect to them especially those who may not be worthy of such.

Loyalty is the undying devotion to a cause greater than oneself. Such commitment does not come lightly or without purpose. Only the most worthy organizations can breed great loyalty. Loyal is the one who stands proud and alone within the crowd, who is not afraid to say, "Yes, I represent the greatest guild of all!" and who resists the rebukes and temptations of competitors. Loyalty knows no price nor bond other than the one laid by one's own conscience. "Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do or die."

Maturity is a product of self-control, discipline, and self-awareness. It is the greatest work of fiction that reads, "Maturity comes from age." I have know children more mature than many adults, so one must never measure it with a chronometer but with patience. Maturation enables one to deal with frustrations and misunderstanding. Too often an immature person focuses on the faults of others and is painfully unaware of his or her own. Maturity allows one to gracefully admit one's own errors and shortcomings.

I do my best to embody these virtues but am not so arrogant as to claim mastery. I believe I have, at the very least, a firm understanding of the concepts of respect, honor, loyalty, and maturity. I certainly represent them as often as I possibly can.

16. In more than 30 but less than 100 words, please describe your personal character and the type of person you are (We wish to get a good feel of the type of person that will be becoming a part of our guild family)

I believe by now you have a very good impression of my character but I will offer a little more insight. I am very intellectual and analytical. I'm a member of Mensa and, as such, tend to be atypical. I respect the ideals of honor, chivalry, and valor. Much of my character seems quite alien to today's society and I would really like to find a community where I can thrive, even a virtual one.

17. Tell us a little about your in-game character
-Character Name: Ranak Fonn
-Character Physical/Mental Features: Lean and athletic. 5' 10" 180 lbs. Quiet, unassuming, and meek.
-Character Biography:

Ranak was born on Alderaan. His parents worked as servants to one of the noble houses. He and his younger sister J’Ranna drew the attention of the Jedi shortly after their births. Ranak’s childhood was typical of a shy, contemplative child. He tended to find more solitary pursuits and was always an attentive student. Being more thoughtful, patient, and intellectual he preferred the path of the Consulars and became an avid diplomat. Earning a reputation as a shrewd negotiator, he relies not on cleverness but on patient resolve. The fiercest diplomatic foes often soften over time and have eventually even become close friends.

Ranak prefers serving abroad on one of the many Republic planets maintaining the hard-earned diplomatic ties he’s helped to establish or building new ones. One can never have too many friends or be known by too many people. He prefers his reputation to precede him and will utilize all of his knowledge and training before finally resorting to violence. “It is better to end in a stalemate than with the taking of lives.”
Back to top Go down

Application - Ranak Fonn (Accepted)
Page 1 of 1